[CentOS] ldap: adding user to multiple groups

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:00:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not having much luck adding a user to more then 1 group in OpenLDAP
> thats provided in Centos.
>
> Any suggestions to have the outcome of having a user belong to
> multiple groups?
>
> Should I create a new group that has multiple GIDs and assign a user
> to that new group?  If so, how? :)

A different twist from the solutions suggested so far.

Even though you may not require the SMB extensions, the smbldaptools
may be worth looking into.  It's toolset are similar to the regular
Linux user management tools, with the backend taking care of
populating the LDAP DIT and you keeping your sanity :)

I have deployed a few production LDAP setups on CentOS 5.3, where
users were members of multiple groups.

HTH,
-- Arun Khan