[CentOS] Install of 5.4 i386 formatting is very slow

kalinix calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com
Fri May 7 07:21:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 22:40 -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> > > Why is my SATA drive showing up under /dev/hdb?
> >
> > Your motherboard is running in IDE emulation mode and
> > exposing the SATA drives as IDE drives.  Many motherboards
> > have this mode to make things 'easier' for certain older O/Ss.
> >

> Unfortunatly, there is no option to change this. I will search for a new BIOS
> for it, but as the system will be running off a flash drive in production I am
> not in a hurry.

That's exactly the reason your HDD is so slow.

Have seen this before on an 1,5 TB, SATA Samsung HDD (please don't
laugh), with IDE Emulation in BIOS. Took me about 2 days to format it
and to install the OS on it. As soon as I switched to native SATA in
BIOS, everything went smooth: less than 30 mins from start to end.

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857