[CentOS] Apache Tomcat/5.5.23

testwreq wreq

testwreq at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:18:10 UTC 2010

I have a new instllation of tomcat on centos. My $CATALINA_HOME is
/usr/share/tomcat5 and tomcat is running.

http://localhost:8080 brings up the tomcat page & one of the option is
"Administration". I would like to use this web interface and even give some
of the test webapp users ability to restart tomcat.

According to the home page, users are defined in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml. Currently my file has the following
content
 more tomcat-users.xml
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
</tomcat-users>
I tried logging to the administration web interface with tomcat/tomcat but
it did not work. Can anyone guide to configure this file? I am very new to
tomcat.

Thank you.