[CentOS] ldap: adding user to multiple groups

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Sat May 8 16:43:22 UTC 2010

On May 8, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Craig White wrote:

>> I tried that a while back, together with webmin and that php thing.
>>
>> I was kinda hoping to use webmin for everything; DNS, DHCP, LDAP so
>> that a jr sys admin could manage our intranet based services.  But
>> with LDAP, webmin doesn't seem to like adding users to groups and
>> errors out.
>>
>> So I just hand edit an ldif for now and ldapmodify.
>>
>> I'll revisit the webmin error regarding adding users to groups and
>> see
>> whats going on.
> ----
> I use webmin's LDAP Users and Groups to administer both users and
> groups
> - it works fine if configured properly.

Perfect!

You mind sharing some nuggets?

First, my issue;

Using webmin, I can add users and also add them to groups and
secondary group during initial creation of that user.

However if I then try to add an already created user to a secondary
group, webmin fails with;

Failed to save group : Failed to modify group in LDAP database :
modify/delete: description: no such attribute

I can do this using ldapmodify with an ldif file, just not via webmin.

I can add, remove users via webmin, I just can't add them to secondary
groups after I've created them.

I can only add them to secondary groups during initial creation of
that user.

Any help would be very very cool.

Thanks in advance Craig.