[CentOS] ldap: adding user to multiple groups

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat May 8 17:28:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 10:13 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I use webmin's LDAP Users and Groups to administer both users and
> > > groups
> > > - it works fine if configured properly.
> >

> > Perfect!
> >
> > You mind sharing some nuggets?
> >
> > First, my issue;
> >
> > Using webmin, I can add users and also add them to groups and
> > secondary group during initial creation of that user.
> >
> > However if I then try to add an already created user to a secondary
> > group, webmin fails with;
> >
> > Failed to save group : Failed to modify group in LDAP database :
> > modify/delete: description: no such attribute
> >
> > I can do this using ldapmodify with an ldif file, just not via webmin.
> >
> > I can add, remove users via webmin, I just can't add them to secondary
> > groups after I've created them.
> >
> > I can only add them to secondary groups during initial creation of
> > that user.
> >
> > Any help would be very very cool.
> >
> > Thanks in advance Craig.
> ----
> I only recently discovered that myself - and I noticed that only
> occurred when the group is not a samba group (i.e. no sambaGroupMapping
> ou) but I almost suspect that it's because I am not using 'objectclass
> top' for these entries but I never really investigated further. The only
> differences between the ones that I can edit and the ones I can't edit
> are the objectclass 'sambaGroupMapping' and 'top'
----
No - I just checked and the same thing still exists even if I add the
'top' objectclass to a 'non-samba' group but if it's a samba group, I
have no problem adding/removing members using webmin. It would seem to
be a problem with the webmin module.

Just for kicks, I've been playing with it and it seems to be working now
(now that I've turned logging on so I could report to Jamie).

I did notice that it seems to help to put something (anything) in the
description field.

Craig

believed to be clean.