[CentOS] which gcc package?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat May 8 18:14:30 UTC 2010

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 06:23 AM, Michael Klinosky wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
>> compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.
>>
> I would use a group install rather than messing around package by
> package. As root run:
>
> yum groupinstall 'Development Libraries' 'Development Tools'

indeed, as you typically not only need the compiler itself, but the
build tool suite, as well as libraries for various things, and assorted
utilities.    The above groupinstall command gets you very far down the
path, although it does load quite a large number of packages (on a slow
link, it could take several hours).