[CentOS] Vim - In INSERT Mode, the Backspace key does not work

Larry Brower larry-lists at maxqe.com
Sun May 9 02:07:11 UTC 2010

Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not very good with Vim.
> I noticed when it is in INSERT Mode, the backspace key no longer works.
> How to do I configure it so that it will work with the backspace key?
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Mary

try using :set bs and/or :fixdel

'backspace' 'bs'        string  (default "")
                         global
                         {not in Vi}
         Influences the working of <BS>, <Del>, CTRL-W and CTRL-U in
Insert
         mode.  This is a list of items, separated by commas.  Each
item allows
         a way to backspace over something:
         value   effect  ~
         indent  allow backspacing over autoindent
         eol     allow backspacing over line breaks (join lines)
         start   allow backspacing over the start of insert; CTRL-W
and CTRL-U
                 stop once at the start of insert.

         When the value is empty, Vi compatible backspacing is used.

         For backwards compatibility with version 5.4 and earlier:
         value   effect  ~
           0     same as ":set backspace=" (Vi compatible)
           1     same as ":set backspace=indent,eol"
           2     same as ":set backspace=indent,eol,start"

         See |:fixdel| if your <BS> or <Del> key does not do what you
want.
         NOTE: This option is set to "" when 'compatible' is set.