[CentOS] measuring kernel speed

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Mon May 10 13:56:17 UTC 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> JohnS wrote:

>>> The FAQ is only correct in respect to the project's view.
>>>
>>> Redhat has a custom oprofile that works with their custom kernels,
>>> so
>>> stock oprofile from the project's site IS incompatible, but that's
>>> OK
>>> cause RH provides one that works with their distro.
>>>
>>> -Ross
>> ---
>> Correct as i found out.
>
> Would this also be suitable for testing efficiency loss from running
> under
> VMware or other virtualization methods?

No because oprofile and latencytop's point of reference is just the
running kernel and doesn't factor in CPU allocations, network/disk
virualization/para-virtualization, bandwidth allocations, etc.

Efficiency loss is a slippery slope and VERY configuration dependant.

I have seen VMs perform better than physical machines and I have seen
them perform worse, sometimes on the same physical host!

Go with the "user experience" indicator (assuming it is properly
configured for the workload). Does it seem fast? Then it's fast. Does
it seem slow? Then it is slow.

-Ross