[CentOS] measuring kernel speed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 10 17:15:54 UTC 2010

On 5/10/2010 11:37 AM, Ross Walker wrote:

> I have ESXi hosts here running 20 VMs per host with some doing
> terminal services, some doing email, some doing database and other
> network services and I have not noticed any diminished performance,
> and yes going virtual is simply the easiest way to perform upgrades.

I think it is unfortunate how difficult it is to back up a working linux
machine and restore it onto different hardware, given that the system
really is very hardware independent.  But, detecting the hardware and
mapping it to device drivers seems to be a black art hidden inside of
anaconda and then the local hardware related settings are fairly
hopelessly intertwined with application and user preferences in your
backup copies.  I always thought that this would be a common enough
problem that some distribution would address it, but so far it hasn't
happened.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com