[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue May 11 00:40:49 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 06:20 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> This gives me a very clean and clear separation between inside my
> network and outside, and no one outside my network is going to see my
> RFC1918 address space.

I weep every time I see someone advocate NAT for security reasons.  It's
ridiculous.

Routing policy is definitely required for a multi-homed system such as
Jussi presented, but NAT is totally superfluous.  It adds an extra layer
of complexity that makes the system more difficult to diagnose and
configure, and contributes nothing of value in return.

John Pierce's advice was simple and correct.  If you don't want to set
up ifup-post scripts of your own, you can use shorewall.  Shorewall is
actually more complex, but you don't have to understand much about the
"ip" tool to use it.

For shorewall, you'd need the following files:

	interfaces:
inet	eth0	-	norfc1918,nosmurfs,tcpflags
inet	eth1	-	norfc1918,nosmurfs,tcpflags
lan	virbr0	-	dhcp

	zones:
fw	firewall
inet	ipv4
lan	ipv4

	policy:
$FW	all	ACCEPT
inet	inet	DROP
all	inet	ACCEPT
all	all	REJECT	info

	providers:
isp0	1	1	main	eth0	62.236.221.78	track,balance
isp1	2	2	main	eth1	62.220.237.126	track,balance

	route_rules:
lo	-	isp0	11000
eth0	-	isp0	11000
eth1	-	isp1	11000