[CentOS] Installing Firestarter

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Tue May 11 13:14:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 16:15 +0530, Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to use <firestarter> to manage the incoming and outgoing
> network connections. Please give me some valuable read abouts and tips
> about this package.
>
> - Will it be a good choice for network management? What are the other
> options?

I used Firestarter for a while a few years ago.  After less than a year
I migrated to the Shoreline Firewall ( Shorewall ) for a couple of
reasons.

First is that Firestarter is limited in what it will allow you to do
with your firewall configuration.  Shorewall is much more powerful and
flexible.

Second, the last time I looked, Firestarter was not being actively
maintained.  As I recall, the latest version of Firestarter is about 3
years old, and the mailing list and forums show very little traffic.  By
comparison, Shorewall is much more active -- both in
maintenance/enhancement and the mailing list.

This is just my opinion, and as always, YMMV.