[CentOS] Adding Repositories and using yum to download packages

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Wed May 12 08:57:56 UTC 2010

On 5/12/2010 12:26 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:18:59PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> I follwed the link that you have given but in it the explanation is
>> given assuming that the Base repo is already present in the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory but in my box i dont have any files in the
>> /etc/yum.repos.d directory.
>>
>> So how do i add these basic needed repositories. In all my other boxes i
>> do have it in the yum/repos.d directory. Please guide me in this regard.
>>
> 	You are running some VPS-incarnation of CentOS, aren't you?
>
> 	Try the following link and follow the applicable steps:
>
> 	http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BrokenVserver
>

> 							John

As per the link it says that the yum is broken but yum is working on my
box , it gave me the following output when i try to install the net-snmp
package.

[root at sc-devld-1 yum.repos.d]# yum install net-snmp
This system is not registered with RHN.
RHN support will be disabled.
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
valid release or hasnt been released yet
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Thanks
Jatin