[CentOS] Adding Repositories and using yum to download packages

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed May 12 09:41:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:55:49PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> [root at sc-devld-1 etc]# rpm -q centos-release
> package centos-release is not installed

	Not CentOS :)

> Also i found that there is a file named as redhat-release.bak in the
> /etc directory , doing a cat on it gives the following output:
>
> [root at sc-devld-1 etc]# cat redhat-release.bak
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5 (Tikanga)

	Something *very* fishy is going on.  In my opinion the
	state of that box can not be guaranteed and it should
	be reinstalled with either RHEL as it apparently originally
	was or as CentOS.

							John
--
I want a government small enough to fit inside the Constitution.

-- DownsizeDC.org co-founder Harry Browne (1933-2006)