[CentOS] automount complaints

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Thu May 13 16:54:55 UTC 2010

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Folks,
>
>    I've been getting complaints in our logfiles, such as
> May 12 10:07:07 <servername> automount[3415]: update_negative_cache: key
> ".git" not found in map.
>
>    a) Is there a FAQ on automount that might cover some of this? Googling
>         hasn't found one for me?
>    b) Any clues as to what might be causing this? I see a lot of it,
>         in spurts.

At a guess, someone or something is trying to access a file/directory
called '.git' in your automount directory.

You might want to try and go something like:

cd /mntpoint/thisdoesnotexist

where /mntpoint is name of an automount directory (e.g. defined in
/etc/auto.master) and see if you get a log message saying something
similar about 'thisdoesnotexist'

James Pearson