[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri May 14 05:34:35 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 12:47 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> Find it harder:
>> find /etc/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep "ip rule"
>
> Or, since modern find's default to -print,

Yes, they do, but I have no idea what that has to do with your
suggestion to use -exec.  If you had suggested eliminating the use of
-print as redundant, your suggestion would be merely inefficient rather
than a non sequitur.

> you could do
> find /etc -type f -exec grep -l "ip rule" {} \;

You could, but that would run "grep" once for each file where xargs will
run grep the minimum number of times.  Using xargs is substantially faster.

Having said that, I see that find has an option of which I was
previously unaware.  If you use the '+' character instead of the ';', it
will behave more or less the same way that xargs does:

find /etc/ -type f -exec grep "ip rule" {} +