[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun May 16 02:29:55 UTC 2010

On 05/14/2010 12:10 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> Ok, rc.d/routes is probably it

Looks that way.  I find that relatively reassuring.  No "linux magic"
involved.  But then, if you didn't set that up, who did?

> (on the "healthy" machine I previously
> used as a reference). I will have to study the ip command and routing a
> bit, then make a fix on the "non-healthy" (xen) box.

I'd recommend either setting the rules up in a "rules-eth0" or such file
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, or using shorewall.  Inventing your
own system is workable, but as you've found, they tend not to be
documented well which leads future admins (or even future you) to wonder
how things work.  Use the facilities available rather than fighting them.