[CentOS] problem with bridged network for a kvm guest

Negative

negativebinomial at gmail.com
Tue May 18 18:49:16 UTC 2010

I'm having trouble with the bridged network setup.  I'm new to kvm, but I
got a window xp sp2 guest set up without trouble a few days ago. I followed
the instructions in the RH virtualization guide, and all was fine until I
had to reboot the host machine a few days later.

Then, I lost networking altogether on the host machine. I lost track of all
the things I tried, but finally got networking back on the host, but I
suspect it's not right.

For one thing, I deleted ifcfg-br0.  Also, I commented out bridge=br0 in
ifcfg-eth0. Oddly, ifconfig shows both interfaces, and shows them both set
to static ip.

One of the points I'm confused about is what, if anything, to write for the
ip address in ifcfg-eth0.

When I first set it up, I set the bridge interface to dhcp, and kept the
host as a static ip on my lan. That made made the host dhcp, but that's no
good for me, so I set the ip in ifcfg-br0  to my static ip, and everything
worked fine, even though it didn't make sense that both eth0 and br0 had the
same ip.

Thanks for any guidance.