[CentOS] Networking setup/help

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:31:13 UTC 2010

On 5/19/2010 8:42 AM, tdukes at sc.rr.com wrote:
> I had to install 5.5 from scratch and now I have to rebuild my home networking system.
>
> I haven't had to mess with this stuff in over 5+ years and I'm sure there may be better ways of doing it now.
>
> My liunx box acts as firewall/gateway for 2 other pcs. I was using a script from the Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO with ddclient (since I have a dynamic ip).
>
> Also, I don't think I need a full name server. Can I get by with a caching nameserver?

If you are starting from scratch and don't know your way around the
linux system, why not use one of the 'appliance' style distributions
like ClearOS (fairly new) or SMEserver (older but still works)?  These
are based on CentOS code but have a simple web interface for
configuration and will probably set up the firewalling/NAT better than
you would do by yourself.

But to answer your question - the only difference between the caching
nameserver package and a normal nameserver is that the caching version
will overwrite your local configs on updates (since you shouldn't have
made any changes).  If you want to have a local zone for your own
machines - even if it isn't official or public, you don't want the
caching version.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com