[CentOS] apache redirection

Ski Dawg

centos at skidawg.org
Wed May 19 20:08:59 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

Part of our website has secured access with an SSL certificate. The
problem we are running into is that the certificate is for
www.domainname.com, so when they go to domainname.com (without the
www. in front), the users are getting a "This connection is untrusted"
warning, because the url doesn't match the certificate.

I found one site that said to make a change to the apache conf file,
which I have done. The change that I made is adding:
<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
    ServerName domainname.com
    Redirect permanent / http://www.domainname.com/
</VirtualHost>

This works great to redirect the users to http://www.domainname.com
when they go to http://domainname.com.

The problem I am running into is if they go to https://domainname.com
(straight to the secure site), I am not able to find a solution that
will redirect them to https://www.domainname.com, so that the ssl
certificate matches and they won't get the "This connection is
untrusted" warning.

I tried using the same thing as above, but changing the port number to
443, and the http to https on the redirect line, but that actually
breaks the site, and only displays an error:
Secure Connection Failed
(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

Is there something obvious that I am missing? Is there a better way to
ensure that everyone will always end up with the www in the url, so
the certificate always matches?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
Doug