[CentOS] apache redirection

Zack Colgan security-watch-zack at clearbearing.com
Wed May 19 21:02:31 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 04:08 PM, Ski Dawg wrote:
> The problem I am running into is if they go to https://domainname.com
> (straight to the secure site), I am not able to find a solution that
> will redirect them to https://www.domainname.com, so that the ssl
> certificate matches and they won't get the "This connection is
> untrusted" warning.
>
> Is there something obvious that I am missing? Is there a better way to
> ensure that everyone will always end up with the www in the url, so
> the certificate always matches?

The problem you are running into is that SSL sessions are negotiated
prior to the browser sending the virtual host name, so there is no
opportunity to redirect the client to the www URL before it's too late.
 Aside from purchasing a second SSL certificate for the plain domain
name or getting a wildcard certificate to cover both, I would just make
sure the links on your web site to the secure version of the domain
specify the www in the URL.

-Zack