[CentOS] apache redirection

Ski Dawg centos at skidawg.org
Wed May 19 21:21:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
>>     ServerName domainname.com
>>     Redirect permanent / http://www.domainname.com/
>> </VirtualHost>
>
> You don't really need this -- you can just add the line below to your existing
> <VirtualHost> spec for www.domainname.com
>
> ServerAlias domainname.com

This doesn't work. This is what we had before. When you just add the
ServerAlias domainname.com to the VirtualHost configuration, when the
user goes to http://domainname.com, it stays on http://domainname.com,
and does not redirect to http://www.domainname.com. We need to have it
go to http://www.domainname.com so that when they click a link on out
site that then takes them to https://www.domainname.com so that it
matches the SSL certificate.

>> I tried using the same thing as above, but changing the port number to
>> 443, and the http to https on the redirect line, but that actually
>> breaks the site, and only displays an error:
>> Secure Connection Failed
>> (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
>
> Probably because the VirtualHost for domainname.com:443 does not include
> the SSL cert info.  You can try including a ServerAlias line to your
> VirtualHost:443 container for www.domainname.com.

That is already done, and still is giving us the SSL error, when
trying to do a redirect.

> The only other thought would be look at your DNS record(s) for
> domainname.com and make sure those records are 'sane' (in terms of which
> name has the IP address and which is a CNAME record).

I believe this is correct, but I will double check that. Thanks for
the suggestion.
--
Doug