[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu May 20 15:41:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:58:07AM -0400, Ryan Manikowski wrote:

> As your config appears to be clean and free of errors that would prevent
> smbd from starting have you...
>
> ...tried starting smbd from the command line NOT using the init scripts?
>
> Make sure nmbd is started first: nmbd -D
>
> Try using the -i and -F flag to start smbd:
>
> e.g. smbd -iF

Thanks Ryan. I'll try that when the mount is next free. Note that per my
initial report it _does_ work perfectly to start it with:

  . /etc/init.d/functions
  daemon smbd -D

So I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to fail from the command line.

The question for getting it to work from the init.d script is what's
different? Would there be a dependency in the environment (say, something
about the initial path) that could cause the problem? It sources
/etc/sysconfig/samba, which is the default:

# Options to smbd
SMBDOPTIONS="-D"
# Options to nmbd
NMBDOPTIONS="-D"
# Options for winbindd
WINBINDOPTIONS=""

I've tried it with SMBDOPTIONS="-D -d 3" and SMBDOPTIONS="-D -d 3 -l /var/log"
but those fail too, including doing no loging for smbd

It also sources /etc/sysconfig/network, but that has

NETWORKING=yes

which appears to be all it's checking for there.

And it succeeds with touching /var/lock/subsys/smb, which means its return
values for both smbd and nmbd were 0. Everything in the start sequence
should work, indicates it's working, but then smbd isn't there. Yet starting
by hand as above, it is.

Whit