[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 20 17:47:50 UTC 2010

On 5/20/2010 12:39 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:58:07AM -0400, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
>
>> Make sure nmbd is started first: nmbd -D
>
> You know, that's not the order the init.d/smb file has it in:
>
> start() {
>          KIND="SMB"
>          echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
>          daemon smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
>          RETVAL=$?
>          echo
>          KIND="NMB"
>          echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
>          daemon nmbd $NMBDOPTIONS
>          RETVAL2=$?
>          echo
>          [ $RETVAL -eq 0 -a $RETVAL2 -eq 0 ]&&  touch /var/lock/subsys/smb ||
>          \
>             RETVAL=1
>          return $RETVAL
> }
>
> If that needs to be the other way around - which it certainly ends up being
> when I'm starting smbd by hand - then someone we got a file with the wrong
> order specified in it. I'll test that later - other staff's back on the
> mounted stuff now.

That looks like the stock init file - but it might be a good idea to run
'rpm -V samba' to see if everything is standard.  Running the init
script with 'sh -x' might give you a hint about what it is doing - or
you'll have to figure out a way to strace the startup with output still
connected to the console or dumped to a file.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com