[CentOS] can't update CENTOS - mirrore issue? or what?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu May 20 20:32:20 UTC 2010

Quoting m.roth at 5-cent.us:

> Dave wrote:
>>
>> For about a week a biug stack of updates have been pending for CENTOS
>> but I can't install them. The yum update command leads to dependency
>> resolution in the usual way but it always ends in this:
>>
>> ---> Package poppler-utils.i386 0:0.5.4-4.4.el5_4.11 set to be updated
>> ---> Package xorg-x11-drv-qxl.i386 0:0.0.12-1.2.el5 set to be updated
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos for package:
>> gmime-sharp
>> ---> Package java-1.6.0-openjdk.i386 1:1.6.0.0-1.7.b09.el5 set to be
>> updated
>> http://linux.mirrors.es.net/fedora-epel/5/i386/repodata/0a2db1a48154104f63a81022653699a425c794c3-filelists.sqlite.bz2:
>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not
>> Found
>> Trying other mirror.
> <snip>
> I see it's trying to get a file list. I started upgrading this week, and
> get the occasional pkgKey not found. You might try what I found as the
> answer: yum clean all, yum clean metadata.
>
>          mark

well, I'm now much better off in consequence of disabling epel, 179
updates went through just fine. the cleanup with yum didn't seem to
have the desired effect:

[root at cserver admin]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
  * addons: ftp.telus.net
  * base: ftp.telus.net
  * epel: linux.mirrors.es.net
  * extras: ftp.telus.net
  * updates: ftp.telus.net

gmime.i386                              2.2.25-1.el5
            epel
wxBase.i386                             2.8.11-1.el5
            epel
wxGTK.i386                              2.8.11-1.el5
            epel
[root at cserver admin]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
[root at cserver admin]# yum clean metadata
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
0 metadata files removed
0 sqlite files removed
0 metadata files removed
[root at cserver admin]# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Determining fastest mirrors
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5&arch=i386&repo=addons error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name
resolution')>
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: addons
[root at cserver admin]#

so definite progress but not quite there yet. thanks for the help.

Dave

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti