[CentOS] Resolv.conf being overwritten

Hans-Ulrich Flueck huf at inomatix.com
Thu May 20 23:43:16 UTC 2010

Hello TIA

If you do not have a local/LAN DNS server neither a caching DNS
configuration on your machine, I can't see a reason to add localhost to the
list of your DNS servers...

The idea behind DHCP is to distribute gateway, dns, ntp and other servers to
the clients, beside the IP addresses.
It's the way it works to have the /etc/resolv.conf overwritten on machine
reboot and DHCP refresh.

You might setup your own local DNS server and distribute this one as the
first in the list of DNS servers by your active DHCP server.
Or you might work with /etc/hosts in order to define a few important/static
machines inside the LAN.

I'd suggest not activating IPV6, but configuring IPV4 correctly first.

Ueli