[CentOS] Resolv.conf being overwritten

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:30:49 UTC 2010

On 5/20/2010 6:43 PM, Hans-Ulrich Flueck wrote:
> Hello TIA
>
> If you do not have a local/LAN DNS server neither a caching DNS
> configuration on your machine, I can't see a reason to add localhost to the
> list of your DNS servers...

The usual reason is that you want caching and you may have added a local
zone for your own machines.

> The idea behind DHCP is to distribute gateway, dns, ntp and other servers to
> the clients, beside the IP addresses.
> It's the way it works to have the /etc/resolv.conf overwritten on machine
> reboot and DHCP refresh.

DHCP will offer nameservers.  You don't have to accept them.  Somewhere
in the network manager GUI there should be a checkbox to control this -
although I think there have been bugs in various versions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com