[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri May 21 17:09:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:52:51PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> A suggestion: in the script, add
> env > /tmp/smb.env
>
> or whatever you want to call it. Then you can compare and contrast with
> your environment.

Good idea. I'll try it when the system's back up. Someone's hunting up a
replacement NIC to see if that really could be the fix. I should note that
this is a 2-day-old stock install from the CentOS ISO. While a coworker
initially handled it, I'm sure he didn't go adding any extra versions of sh.

I'd been assuming that sh was dash, as it is in Debian-based distros. Silly
of me. It is bash on CentOS. So my playing with the sh/bash thing was
wasting time. Sorry I even wrote up that aspect.

Whit