[CentOS] Is every CentOS release supported for 7 years?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat May 22 21:48:01 UTC 2010

Aniruddha wrote:
> Thanks for the quick replies. I understand now that CentOS  5 and all
> 5.? versions are supported until 2014. How does this work with
> security updates? Does each point release gets itś own security
> updates? In other words is it possible to install
> CentOS 5.5 on a server and only apply security updates for 7 years? Or
> is it required to upgrade to each point release in order to continue
> receiving security updates?

Generally speaking, security updates are ongoing and point releases are the
accumulation of the security updates plus bugfixes at different points in time
with the less critical bugfixes all released at once.  But, the reason it is an
'enterprise' release is that updates within a major release are not supposed to
   change behavior or compatibility in ways that will break programs you are
running.  There have been some rare exceptions but unless you know something the
team preparing the updates doesn't, you are probably better off just staying up
to date.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com