[CentOS] Mounting LVM disk

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Mon May 24 17:56:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Weiner, Michael <weinerm at ccf.org> wrote:
> Brian Mathis, On Monday, May 24, 2010 11:17 AM
>> PPS. You might have a reason, but it would be irresponsible not to
>> point out that by using RAID0 you now have an exponential risk of
>> losing all of that data.
>
> The Raid0 is simply a large disk pool for temporary data storage. Not
> the way I would build this, but I am simply managing the hardware for
> this individual, and he has been warned about the loss of data due to
> the single point of failure, especially without backing this data up to
> somewhere I can get to it with tape
>
> Thanks again
> Michael

OK, I won't beat this to death, as I know there are always exceptions
to the rules, BUT a 4-way RAID0 is far more likely to fail than just a
single disk, so I wouldn't consider it a single point of failure.  I'm
not sure about the math right now, but it's something like 2^4 (16) or
even 4! (24) time more likely to fail than a single disk.