[CentOS] can't update CENTOS - mirrore issue? or what?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Mon May 24 19:28:02 UTC 2010

Quoting Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>:

> On 05/20/2010 09:57 PM, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
>>> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
>>> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5&arch=i386&repo=addons error was
>>> [Errno 4] IOError:<urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name
>>> resolution')>
>>> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: addons
>>
>> Disable the 'addons' repo and your problem will be resolved.
>
> That sounds like a bit of very random advice, given that Dave's dns is
> not responding - how would disabling the addons repo have an impact on
> Dave's nameserver ?
>
> - KB

well I did disable addons and then was able to do the update. Then
when I checked for available updates I got only three showing, all
listed as epel. For the moment those updates are of no special
importance so I'm happy to deal with other problems. Nonetheless I
remained puzzled by both the original problem and the fix.

Dave

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti