[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Tue May 25 19:11:45 UTC 2010

Just a follow up note: We've got the same problem again on another fresh
install. Totally different hardware - so the hardware hypothesis bites the
dust. Since other people aren't seeing this, the remaining suspect is our
configuration files. We're using an smbpasswd backed, and in both these
cases moved configuration files over from working Redhat systems for this.

How that can explain the strange breakage (see the long discussion following
the original post for details) is still beyond me. It should break it, or it
shouldn't, and when it breaks it smbd should be able to give some message as
to why ... but it doesn't.

I wonder if the more recent X version of Samba is likely to work better, or
of the breakage here is related to using smbpasswd?

Whit