[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Tue May 25 22:23:02 UTC 2010

Whit Blauvelt wrote, On 05/25/2010 06:05 PM:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:47:00PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>
>> Was this file *copied* from the Redhat 5.4 system(s) or created fresh
>> under CentOS?
>
> If you mean /etc/init.d/smb, it's CentOS's version. The entire difference
> between the two, just for the record, is:
>
> # diff smb /etc/init.d/smb
> 10a11
>> echo $PATH > path.txt
> 37c38
> < RETVAL=0
> ---
>> echo $PATH >> path.txt
> 38a40
>> RETVAL=0
>
> where "smb" is RH's version and /etc/init.d/smb is Cent's. I can't quite
> imagine that a difference between overwriting or appending path.txt is at
> the root of what I'm seeing though.

I have not been following this thread closely, but perhaps Robert was pointing at SELINUX and the
need to keep the SE permissions intact as you copy/edit the file.

i.e. you may need to:
A) restorecon /etc/init.d/smb and any other samba files that you have copied/edited.
B) look in one of the /var/log/ files for selinux messages when you are starting samba.

Good luck.
--
Todd Denniston