[CentOS] Logrotation with retention period

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 08:14:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM, James Corteciano
<james at linux-source.org> wrote:

> Is it possible that the output after doing logrotate could be like the below
> sample. All compressed logs will be keep until 6 months only. I know there
> is man page / docs in internet but I can't get the exact configuration to
> use.

(a) "man logrotate"  is available on your in installed system and try
to follow the examples in the man page.

The cycles are daily/monthly/yearly.  For 6 month rotation you can
choose monthly and make rotate >= 6 or higher (also allow size large
enough to avoid log rotation overwrite).

> [hostname]# ls /var/log/mysql/
> 2010.05.01.gz
> 2010.05.02.gz
> 2010.05.03.gz