[CentOS] 5.4-->5.5 Upgrade broke OO 3.2.0

David McGuffey

davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Fri May 28 11:09:26 UTC 2010

In order to get an OpenOffice configuration that is closer in
compatibility with MS Office 2007, I removed the standard OO in 5.4 via
yum and installed the latest (3.2.0) from OpenOffice.org. Ran that
config for many months without a problem.

However, when I allowed the upgrade to 5.5, OO broke. I finally had to
remove all traces of OO 3.2.0, and start over. That worked...until yum
tells me that there are updates to apply, which includes an OO update.

Not thinking, I allowed the updates and the OO update broke OO 3.2.0
again.  The update is:
	openoffice.org-ure-3.1.1-19.5.el5.x86_64 updates
	openoffice.org-ure-1.6.0-9483.x86_64

I had to repeat the removal and reinstallation of OO to recover.  Now I
watch the updates more closely and don't allow the OO update to come in.

Not complaining...just a warning to the community of the challenge one
often encounters by running software that is not part of the standard
distribution.

Dave M