[CentOS] CentOS 5 and seamonkey

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 31 00:33:43 UTC 2010

On 05/30/2010 05:43 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg informed us:
> MHR wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Robert<kerplop at sbcglobal.net>   wrote:
>>
>>> O.K., errands finished, the rebuilt rpm installed using yum --nogpgcheck
>>> localupdate /path/to/rpm with no problems, no dependencies.  Mail,
>>> preferences, plugins and helpers work as far as I've tested.  And email
>>> address hinting is fixed! Many thanks..
>>>
> you're welcome, glad it helped!
>

>> I am glad to hear this, but it really would have been a whole lot
>> simpler just to install the official release tarball....
>>
> rpmbuild --rebuild isn't so complicated, and I find having almost
> everything in rpms is comfortable.
> Also, once the rpm is built on one system you can install it everywhere.
> That can be very convenient, depending on how many desktops/laptops you
> have.

That, plus, if there are any unsatisfied dependencies, they'll get
pulled in
from trusted repos.
I'll admit that that is probably unlikely with an updated
CentOS 5 and Seamonkey, but having been burned really bad, trying to cram
CUPS into RedHat 7.2, I try to avoid tarballs unless they're part of a
well-documented procedure such as that published by ATI (AMD) for their
proprietary video drivers. Even then, I elect to create an RPM and
install it.
Old farts gather a lot of paranoias, Marc. Thanks for pushing me off
TDC, though, and thanks even more for the "hung sound" info!