[CentOS] Pptp vpn server

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 3 14:15:29 UTC 2010

Ross Walker wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree;  but its issues verses the issues of the other
>>> alternatives....
>>> seems almost a wash to me.
>>
>> Errr, what issues does openvpn have?
>
> I'm no fan of any type of VPN as I think it's a way of extending your
> trusted LAN to an untrusted endpoint compromising internal trust levels,
> but if you are going to implement a VPN the type is of very little
> consequence (account/password is more likely to be compromised then
<snip>
> I would suggest only providing VPN access to administrators and for users
> providing a combination of SSL gateway to web-mail and some type of
> terminal service that either authenticates with a separate domain or is
> only accessible after successfully authenticating to the SSL gateway.
<snip>
Um, no. This might work for folks who *only* need access to their M$
Exchange via Outlook and Office, but for other work, including *anything*
that isn't being done in their browser, they're SOL about working, say,
from home.

It's even more secure it you just unplug it from the Internet....

       mark