[CentOS] PATA Hard Drive woes

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Nov 3 17:27:26 UTC 2010

Warren Young wrote:
> On 11/3/2010 8:32 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> So to prepare the disk for returning under warranty, I used
>> another HDD utility to clean the disk again

>> So I ran an Advanced r/w scan again with Hitachi DFT, and
>> the result was OK.
>
> A complete disk wipe brings bad sectors to the drive's attention,
> forcing it to remap them using spare sectors set aside for the purpose.
<snip>
> If you put it back into service, at minimum I would set up smartd, from
> the smartmontools package.  Maybe run smartctl on it by hand daily or
> weekly, too.  If you find that errors start happening again, there is
> something continually degrading the drive's integrity, so the automatic
> sector remapping will eventually run the drive out of spare sectors.
<snip>
Yeah, but I have problems with smartmon: for example, I've got a drive in
one server that's got two bad sectors, which SMART reports. I've followed
the instructions on how to make the log messages go away, and fsck -c...
but on reboot, SMART seems to ignore what badblocks found, and the
irritating messages are back.

       mark