[CentOS] Memtest86+ running time

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Thu Nov 4 00:10:50 UTC 2010

Jake Shipton wrote:
> On 03/11/10 22:03, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:
>>> I have run one full test and got no errors on the memory
>>> module. Is it worth keeping it running overnight, just to
>>> see if temperature changes will afect the test?
>> I had a system that started crashing randomly. I ran memtest overnight
>> (about 10 hrs) but it did not report any errors. Next time I extended
>> the run to 18 hrs or so and finally saw errors.  Replacing the RAM
>> solved the crash problem. So, I would recommend running memtest for
>> one full day.
>>
> I agree. Usually, when systems crash due to possibly memory related
> errors I let them run testing for 24 hours, or if they have lots of
> memory possibly longer (48 hours) to allow all memory to be fully
> tested. :-)

And make sure you button the cabinet back up, with all covers in place
and put it back on the rack where it normally sits. Running this test
with the case open or sitting in free air is a waste of time unless that
is how the system usually operates. All memory testing has to be done
under normal working conditions to get the maximum benefit.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP