[CentOS] Pptp vpn server

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Nov 4 12:53:53 UTC 2010

On 04/11/2010 13:31, Rob Kampen wrote:

> I've been watching this thread and offer the following observation.
> some years ago when working in the corporate world - most internet
> connections were still via modem - I used to connect via VPN to the
> corporate network from remote offices. Even though I was connected via
> ethernet to the local office, the VPN connection once established,
> became my only route. i.e. the local network appeared to be
> disconnected and the laptop (or PC) could only see and connect to the
> corporate IP address ranges that had been established via the VPN
> software - this also used one time password keys.
> Thus security was complete other than the ability to get files from
> the corporate network onto the local PC - although difficult and
> cumbersome.
> Once the VPN was disconnected the local network was once again working.
> This was on Windoze clients to linux and other corporate servers.
> Wondering if this kind of setup is possible with any of the mentioned
> VPN products?
> Tks Rob
>> _
Rob,

This is called split-tunnel (or in the case that you talk about
non-split tunnel) policy.
Many IPsec clients can be configured by policy to avoid
split-tunnelling. The Windows PPTP client is configured like this by
defaults, but it is possible to unconfigure it as a user.
Proprietary (e.g. Cisco VPN) allow configuration of the client
split-tunnel (or not), by the VPN server. I don't know whether OpenVPN
has this functionality, it ultimately depends on the client to do the
split-tunneling, not the server (but the server could verify the client,
and enforce split-tunneling).

Thanks

Giles