[CentOS] obtaining non-packaged software

Piscium

groknok at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 11:31:18 UTC 2010

I have been using Fedora on my home desktop for close to an year, and
I am happy with it, nevertheless I am considering switching to a
slower-moving distro.

CentOS + EPEL put together have less packages than Fedora. Moreover
RPM Fusion has fewer packages for EL than for Fedora. I am wondering
how can I install on my PC applications for which packages do not
exist from one of the above-mentioned repos.

I can go upstream, get sources and build them. It is a good solution,
I do that even with Fedora, however this can mean a lot of work when a
package depends on 10 others.

So I wonder what do other CentOS users do in a similar situation? Is
it possible to get a Fedora binary package and install it? What about
getting a Fedora source package, building and installing it? Is there
any other possibility?