[CentOS] OT - Any true bourne shells out there for linux?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 9 06:11:58 UTC 2010

On 11/08/10 7:34 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:39:22PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:

>> I thought it did that by default if it was invoked as /usr/bin/sh via
>> the link ?
>>
> Doesn't seem to do so, with my strenuous test of typing sh then trying
> echo $UID.  The true Bourne shell doesn't have that (which messed
> me up once when forgetting that and working on an AIX box.  I think
> that's when I discovered that UID is a bash-ism and not a sh-ism.
>
> Note that that is the only test I did--it might be that everything else
> is perfect.
>
> IIRC, back when that happened (writing something portable and needing to
> test syntax), I got the best results with dash.

ah, yes.    bash as sh is a superset of sh.     most anything written
for sh should work, but lots and lots of stuff on bash as sh won't work
on sh

but, then, I'm not sure sh on solaris is quite exactly the same as sh on
aix.  anyways, aix users usually uses ksh.  but ksh on linux is a
little  sketchy.