[CentOS] future modprobe.conf

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Nov 11 16:20:47 UTC 2010

centos 5 had modprobe.conf entries for eth0 and if present eth1.
something like:
alias eth0 forcedeth
alias eth1 e1000e

For the new centos 6 (I have the rhel 6 client installed on my laptop)
the modprobe.conf file is gone. Which is fine. I understand files can be
created in /etc/modprobe.d and server the same purpose.

My question is I dont see (doing a grep) any eth0 alias's in the files
in /etc/modprobe.d/*

My reason is when I have a system with 2 ethernet cards I used to have
to specify the order
of loading. Like:
install e1000e /sbin/modprobe forcedeth; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
e1000e

So I used to grep for eth0 and eth1 do get the module names from
modprobe.conf.

How do I get that information in RHEL 6 since it doesnt seem to be there.

Thanks, (just trying to prepare)

Jerry