[CentOS] Best way to configure proprietary NVidia driver on CentOS ?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Nov 12 23:06:43 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
| On 11/12/10 23:34, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > What's the best (cleanest, easiest, whatever) way to install the
| > proprietary
| > NVidia driver on CentOS 5.5 ? Usually I'm using the RPMForge 3rd
| > party repo
| > and compile the odd missing package myself from a Fedora SRPM. But
| > the nvidia
| > packages look a bit like a mess. DKMS has errors in the startup
| > script
| > (looking for a nonexistent log_action_msg and the likes), so I
| > wonder if it's
| > best to just download the driver from nvidia.com and build it
| > myself.
| >
| > Then I thought : I'd rather ask.
| >
| > Cheers,
| >
| > Niki
|
| I use the driver from nvidia.com. The setup process is a no brainer.

I do similar.  I have a script which calls the latest version of the driver installer only if it can't find a version of the driver for the running kernel.  If it does it runs the installer with the -a -s -X options to build and configure X if not done already.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com