[CentOS] make fails with "recompile with -fPIC"

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:00:40 EST 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to get monodevelop installed on Centos 5.5

In order to do so, I must install several packages, all of which give
me the following error when doing a make;

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/image.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
`gdip_getcodecinfo_gif' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

How and where do I add this value of -fPIC?

Better yet, has any one done this before?

Keep in mind this is diff then mono-devel.

Thanks in advance,
- aurf