[CentOS] Confused about Java browser plugin for Firefox

Przemysław Pawełczyk pp_o2 at o2.pl
Sun Nov 14 08:18:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

I missed the most posts of the thread so let me say those few words.

First of all I use Java or OpenOffice.org from producers' websites.
They are always "fresh" and installable in RHEL.

I assume too, that the i386 and amd64 versions work the same way, only
the lib names can be different.

Thirdly, I cannot say now what method I used lately but either of them
worked flawlessly. I installed Scientific Linux (CentOS) several times
without any snags.

So,

1. The latest Java is attached to the latest OpenOffice.org RPMs.
http://download.openoffice.org/other.html

2. Java RPM can be downloaded from Oracle page:
http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com

test Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Java directory with Java libs and plugins:
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/lib/amd64

I use to place OpenOffice.org in /opt directory. Java is installed here:
/opt/openoffice.org/ure

It must be working as it always worked here. ;-)

Best regards,
Przemysław Pawełczyk

Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2 at o2.pl