[CentOS] Centos 6 installation memory requirements

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Nov 16 15:13:27 UTC 2010

Will (does) Centos 6 require 512Mb of memory for the GUI install like
FC14 or the lower requirement of FC13?

My ASUS EE 700 has ~490Mb of memory (vidoe steals some from the 512Mb
base) and FC14 switches to text install and does not install any GUI,
leaving the boot in test mode.

I recall a message earlier that 6 is based off of 14, but not the final
Anaconda, thus my question.

It would be NICE if the install can work with at least 384Mb of memory,
as this is the recommended minimum for FC14 so I would think it is the
miniumum for RHEL/Centos 6.

I am seeing FC leave more older hardware behind and with its short
cycles and 'currentness' of apps for RHEL 6, I am looking at moving some
of my desktops back from FC to Centos.  FC13 may be the last FC for some
of them...