[CentOS] kickstart raid disk partitioning

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Nov 19 15:17:48 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 04:32 AM, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
>> 1. http://wiki.alteeve.com/files/an-cluster/ks/generic_server_rhel6.ks
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Does that kickstart effectly produces a partitioning that is
> exactly the same on both disks? Because that is the problem
> I'm facing: the partitioning produced by the kickstart
> is different on the two drives.

Yup, both disks are identical layout.

> Also, why did you put /boot and swap in raid? Was it for
> obtaining identical partitioning on both drives?
> For swap, the kernel already does performance optimization
> when swap partitions are on different drives, and /boot..
> I always tended to keep /boot be as simple as possible, to avoid
> any problem during boot.. but maybe, these days with initramdisk
> there's no more need for that..
>
> Best regards.
> Robi

Keeping the drives identical is a big part of it. Even on my 3+ disk
RAID level 5 systems, I make /boot a RAID 1 mirrored across all drives
as /boot can not be RAID5.

I mirror /boot and <swap> because if either is lost, the system dies. :)
Imagine if something was in swap, then swap vanished, and then the
system tried to retrieve what was in swap... Not so good. :P

The biggest concern is that, on /boot, you need to ensure that grub has
been setup on all drive's MBR. The grub shell allows you to ensure that.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com