[CentOS] Postfix - message queue filling with Host or name not found - try again

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Mon Nov 22 03:47:02 UTC 2010

Ben McGinnes wrote:

> What is the complete output of postqueue -p?  What is the From address
> and, more to the point, is it MAILER-DAEMON?

Yes it is

>> Agreed, however this opens a potential DoS attack vector - I'm
>> trying to determine why my postfix even has these requests present
>> as I'm not initiating the emails (as far as I know) and I do not
>> forward emails for any other domains.
>> I feel like I'm missing something......confused maybe
>>

> It could be backscatter.
>
> Run postqueue -p and pick one of the messages, it shouldn't matter
> which.  Then run:
>
> postcat -q $MSGID | less
>
> Where $MSGID is one of the messages in the queue.  That will show you
> the message and headers.  I'd be willing to bet it's your server
> trying to send a rejection/spam detection to a server.

Correct - thanks for the pointers on how to track it down - so now my
question is how do I set things up to simply try this once and then drop
it, rather than queue it up for the next five days with all the
attendant dns errors. This is definitely at the boundaries of my mail
setup experience - for some reason the other two mail servers I run do
not seem to get the same level of spam and thus I seldom notice this.