[CentOS] Router for SOHO network - hardware considerations

Alexander Georgiev alexander.georgiev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:45:17 UTC 2010

2010/11/22 Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>:
> one server (an old IBM X225), seventeen desktops all running CentOS 5.5.
>
> One extra machine is acting as a router, in that it is installed between
> the DSL modem and the network, with two Ethernet cards, and it's taking
> care of DHCP, DNS, NTP and also acts like a proxy (with Squid).
> - quite big and noisy and electricity-consuming to me,.
>
> I've found two things: 1) Pyramid
> Soekris boards, where I can put something like Pyramid Linux on it. And
> 2) The Linksys WRT54GL, for which there are Linux firmwares like OpenWRT
> and DD-WRT.

I would want to spare substantial effort and to keep things simple and
stupid. I would:

1) migrate all services DHCP, DNS, NTP and Squid to the X225 server
2) Use the Linksys WRT54GL for routing/gateway. I would not bother
installing the OpenWRT.

I would do this, unless I am looking forward to increase my expertise
in home built routers.

Kind regards,
Alex