[CentOS] Word Perfect [Was: Novell sale news?]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Nov 23 13:32:38 UTC 2010

> On 11/22/10 9:57 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:29:12PM -0500, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> >> Windows only, unfortunately.
> > 	When did they stop publishing *nix versions?  I worked
> > 	extensively with that monstrosity 15-16 years ago on
> > 	SCO / MWC Coherent.
> I don't think they ever did a real native *nix verson - they had a slightly
> custom version of wine wrapped around the windows code.   And there was some
> strange Microsoft involvement in the Corel company too - probably why you
> haven't heard much from them.

I'm pretty sure they did have such a version;  WP was the first 'real'
word processor available for LINUX.  I ran it on a LINUX host and a
dozen or so NCD X-terminals.  It worked, but I can't imagine anyone
having been a fan. It was slow, clunky, and just ugly.

And as for reveal codes... OOo has a mode that displays non-printable
characters. Beyond that I just don't see the point.  OOo's document
collaboration and versioning tools are far and away better than what I
recall from WP.